Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Black River Canal and More...

I'm sorry, I guess it wasn't the last post of the year! But I think this one will be the last. For A biking trip, we biked along the Black River canal. The canal is called black because the is so much iron in the water that it makes it look black! Same with the black river. Since we biked along the canal I figured I could go fishing in it once and awhile. Early on our fishing attempts were futile and in vain. We had given up all hope (and a few lures). We figured it was too late in the season. Finally about 7 1/2 miles into our 30 mile trip we came to a pond.It looked good for fishing so I cast my line out. Michael said he wouldn't go fishing unless I caught a fish. Within two casts I was reeling in a member of the Esox family and Michael was sprinting for his poleThis is a Chain Pickerel, or Esox niger. It is similar to the carnivorous Northern Pike, or Esox lucious (get the pun), but a little smaller. This one here is an average sized one. They feed on everything they can get there mouths on. There have been reports of them biting wader's legs!After the sprint for the pole Micheal reeled in a humongous pickerel! I have never seen one so big before! This is about the size of a northern Pike! Love the face!Another pickerel caught by me. Good size, but when I tried to take a picture, It went nuts! That's what's happening in this picture. Someones a little picture shy! Note the color of the water in the background. After that catch we continued on along the trail and eventually merged into the Black River. The Black River has a variety of environments, ranging from rapids. The part of the river we fished in happened to be rapids, as you see here.A nice size brown trout Michael caught. Such a pretty fish.A smallmouth bass I caught. As you see we're using spinner bait. After another 15 miles Our trip was concluded, BUT......Micheal's pictures from his Florida trip came in. Down in Florida he caught a Tunny Tuna. Little compared to other tuna, Tunnies generally range from 7- 10lbs. This one Michael caught was 15lbs! Sorry about the poor picture quality. This is a picture of a picture, since he used a disposable camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment